Friday, February 18, 2011

It's called Cuties in the Kitchen, not Cooks in the Kitchen

Today my boyfriend wanted me to make Ghirardelli Ultimate Fudge Brownies (from a box). He loved them because they are dark chocolate, but I was wanting something else (not a huge dark chocolate fan, shocking, I know). So I decided to make Apple Cake from (once again) Better Homes and Gardens Easy Everday Cooking Cookbook (aren't I gourmet?). So, first off, I'd like to state for the record that our blog is called "Cuties in the Kitchen" and not "Cooks in the Kitchen" because we admit that we are not professional by any means! I mistook "5 cups diced cooking apples" for "5 cups diced cooked apples"! So, after I chopped and cooked apples for about 30 minutes and realized my mistake I had to start over again with raw apples.
So, if you do this recipe: do not cook the apples like this:

Instead, just chop up some raw apples! Since my Granny Smith apples were all used up with my mistake, I ended up using one large Granny Smith and three Honey Crisps in the final product.

The recipe called for a Bundt pan but since I am just a beginning Cutie in the Kitchen, I don't have one of those yet. It would be much more attractive if I did though. Layer batter then apple mixture and repeat (recipe coming soon). Icing drizzle added an extra sweet touch.

So after some box brownies, 5 cups of cooked apples I'm not quite sure what to do with, and a large apple cake, I am ready to slice myself a piece and snuggle by the fire. The apple cake turned out really good!
 ~~A~~