Friday, March 11, 2011

Coffee cake, not so good

Have you ever made something, following the recipe perfectly and it didn't turn out well? Part of the ups and downs of becoming a GOOD Cutie in the Kitchen is Trial and Error. Well that is what happened with the Coffee Streusel Cake from the Greatest Ever Baking cookbook. It sounded so delicious, my boyfriend was excited about it, and the pictures of it looked great.... Not to mention, all coffee cakes have always made me drool; from Entenmann's as a child from the grocery store to the Seinfeld episode about Drake's...I love coffee cake! I am a little sad that this recipe turned out so undesirable. Maybe someone else can try it out and see if they liked it.
Recipe:
1/2 cup butter, melted, cooled, plus extra for greasing
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/3 cup superfine sugar (I used regular granulated, maybe that's where I went wrong)
2/3 cup milk
2 eggs
2 tbsp instant coffee mixed with 1 tbsp boiling water
1/3 cup chopped almonds
confectioners' sugar for dusting
TOPPING
1/2 cup self rising flour
1/3 cup raw brown sugar
2 tbsp butter, diced
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tbsp water
1. Grease a 9 inch round spring foam cake pan with butter and line w/ parchment paper. Strain the floura nd baking powder into a mixing bowl, then stir in superfine sugar. 
2. Whisk the milk, eggs, melted butter, and coffee mixture together and pour onto the dry ingredients. Add the chopped almonds and mix lightly together. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan. 
3. To make the topping, combine the flour and raw brown sugar in a bowl. 
4. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Sprinkle in the allspice and water and bring the mixture into loose crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over the cake batter. 
5. Bake the cake in a 375 degree oven for about 40-50 minutes. Cover loosely with foil if the topping starts to brown too quickly. Let the cake cool in the pain, then turn out, dust with confectioners' sugar, and serve. 
LOL, Okay so this is the worlds WORST picture of a half cut up cake covered in saran wrap, but I wasn't going to make it look all cute when I didn't like how it tasted!

Okay so first off, I didn't use "superfine sugar", "raw brown sugar" or a round 9" cake pan; this may be why it did not taste so great to me. You would think that using granulated sugar, regular light brown sugar, and a rectangle cake pan wouldn't make that much difference, but I tell you, this has led me to going on a new misson....A mission to find a great coffee cake recipe. I will find one that is great and let you all know where I find it! Until next time....I've got a large coffee cake on my hands to eat! ~~A~~


No comments: