Friday, March 4, 2011

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Last night after a very busy day of working, errands, and an audition, I still had stamina left in me to make my sweetheart a Pinapple Upside Down Cake at 10:00 pm. It turned out sooo good and I recommend this recipe!
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter
1-8 or 11 ounce can of pineapple slices (depending upon the cake pan size you have)
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 eggs
2/3 cup sour cream
Vanilla ice cream to top (optional)

In a saucepan combine brown sugar and 6 tablespoons butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is bubbly. Pour onto ungreased 9X9 baking pan. I don't have a pan that size so I used one larger and it turned out fine. The only difference was I used more pineapple slices in the next step.

Drain the pineapple and cut slices in half. Arrange the half slices of pineapple in the pan. In a new small to medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.

In a large mixing bowl beat 6 tablespoons butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Or if you don't have an electric mixer like me, work out your biceps with a wisk! Add granulated sugar and almond extract; beat until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Alternatley add flour mixture and sour cream, beating on low to medium speed after each addition just until combined. Spoon over pineapple and smooth out.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wired rack for 5 minutes (I didn't let it cool, oops). Invert onto a serving plate (or another cookie sheet in my case) and serve warm. Top with vanilla ice cream.

When it comes out it should look like this!

Then, once inverted!
Tasted so good!
~~A~~

No comments: